Hojicha Tea – a Different Japanese Green Tea
Hojicha tea is a type of Japanese green tea which is made from the sun-grown Japanese green tea known as bancha, harvested from the tea plant later in the season.Hojicha tea is roasted in a porcelain pot over charcoal at a high temperature, fact that alters the leaf color from green to reddish-brown.
Hojicha tea has been certified as organic by the government of Japan.
Brewing Hojicha tea
There are many ways of preparing Hojicha tea, depending on each and other person’s taste. For example, shorter infusions of Hojicha tea may produce a fresh flavor, while longer infusions are more developed and have a “nuttier” taste.
For starters, heat the the teapot with boiling water. The heat of the water is the one that brings out the aroma of Hojicha tea, so it shouldn’t be boiled at more than 180°F (80 degrees Celsius). The next step is adding the tea inside the teapot, one tablespoon of tea for each serving, when the water has just boiled. Then, depending on the flavor that you want, let it steep between 30 – 90 seconds. In the end, pour the tea into a cup, making sure to use all the water in the teapot.
Hojicha tea is usually served after the evening meal or before bed since it has lower caffeine content than other green teas.
Components of Hojicha tea
The main components of Hojicha tea are, like most green teas, tannin, caffeine, theanine (which is an amino acid) and Vitamin C. Hojicha tea is known for the low amounts of caffeine and tannin (less astringency), fact that makes the tea easier to drink in the evening and it is also more suitable for children and elders. Since it lacks in caffeine, some people even drinkHojicha tea to replace coffee, or before bed for a deep and calm sleep.
Hojicha tea benefits
Hojicha tea has a lot of health benefits, even though the same process that removes the caffeine also reduces the antioxidants. Due to the fact that Hojicha tea is actually a green tea, it basically presents the same benefits as any other green tea:
- Hojicha tea helps fighting against diseases caused by viruses or bacteria and strengthens the immune system.
- Hojicha tea helps protect against cardiovascular diseases, tumors and it’s also an important element when it comes to cancer prevention.
- Hojicha tea is a strong allied in the process of weight loss.
- Hojicha tea gives an overall well-being and helps you relax.
Hojicha tea side effects
Hojicha tea, because of the low caffeine, tannin and theanine content doesn’t actually present any particular side effects. However, being a green tea you should be aware of the following side effects that may appear if it is not consumed properly:
- You should not drinkHojicha tea when you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you suffer from anemia or iron deficiency. According to some studies, green tea extract reduces the absorption of iron by 25%.
- It is advised not to drink green tea on an empty stomach since it could cause liver damage.
- Avoid green tea if you have kidney disorders or stomach ulcers.
All in all, try not to drink more than 6 cups a day of Hojicha green tea.
If you are a green tea drinker or if you just want to try a different tea taste, besides the herbal flavor that most green teas have, you should not miss Hojicha tea. The components of Hojicha tea helps improve your immune system and, generally, keeps you healthy. It’s perfect for cold winter days!