Knowing how to buy stocks and bonds helps securing your funds for future. Traditionally, these financial instruments are known to have provided maximum returns on funds. Though investments are always associated with some element of risk, you can reduce that risk by spending time to research the companies you should invest in and formulating your investment plan. You objective could be to afford college education of your children or to take care of financial needs on retiring. Whatever be the objective, ensure your investment portfolio contains stocks and bonds.
Here are some essential features of learning how to buy stocks and bonds:
• Having stocks offers a means of owning a part of the company. The worth of stocks keeps fluctuating, depending on many factors. Stocks allow you to gain the most, provided you buy these at low prices and sell the same when prices are high. Usually, you can also expect some payment by way of dividends that many companies provide on making profits.
• Bonds are secured debts. In their case, you loan your money to a company, government or municipality and earn a specified predefined amount of interest for a definite period, at the end of which your money is paid back by the borrower.
2. Conduct your research independently. You can find any number of people advising which bonds and stocks you should buy. Some may offer that piece of advice free, while others would charge fees for that. Perhaps, you best option will be to conduct research of your own and be a self-learnt advisor of investments. Fortunately, you’ll find the Internet of great help in this regard. Here are the things you should be looking for when learning how to buy stocks and bonds:
• study quarterly and annual reports
• examine industry and press releases
• take note of conference calls
• find out competitors of the company
• what are the assets of the company
• who forms the management of the company and are they experienced
3. For buying and selling bonds and stocks open an account with a broker. You choice of broker depend on the kind of work you would like them to do for you and the amount you are willing to pay for such services.
• Brokers providing full services will offer research on investments but charge more fee as commission.
• Discount brokers will buy or sell bonds and stocks for defined prices. They don’t provide any advice but may make available some research on investment.
4. At the initial stages of making your portfolio of investments, make investments in mutual funds. Rather than purchasing stocks or bonds, mutual funds collect funds from a number of investors for making investments in bonds and stocks or additional securities. You can find a very large number of mutual funds that focus on different kinds of investments like large caps, index or small caps or different kinds of industries like IT and healthcare. You also have funds specializing in bonds or a combination of bonds and stocks to keep the fund balanced. You may buy mutual funds straightway from the company or through a broker.
Those were the essentials of learning how to buy stocks and bonds.